Jump to navigation Jump to content

I am in a Chapter 7 and I am getting an inheritance

I am in a Chapter 7 and I am getting an inheritance

The simple answer is, it depends. First it matters where the money is coming from and when you become entitled to the money.

For example, if the money is from an inheritance and the person died before you filed the Chapter 7 or within 180 days from when the Chapter 7 was filed then chances are that it is part of the bankruptcy estate and the money would need to be turned over to the Chapter 7 trustee to be disbursed to your unsecured creditors. However, if the money is from something, other than an inheritance, that you became entitled to after filing, that it is likely not part of the bankruptcy estate.

If it is determined that the asset is a part of the bankruptcy estate, clients usually want to know why they have to turn over the money and what will happen if they do not turn over the money. First, the trustees job is to essential be the middle man between you and your creditors. The trustee is supposed to look for assets that could pay off all or some of your creditors. Second, as to what will happen if you do not turn over the money; that part is simple. The trustee can dismiss your case or deny or revoke your discharge. Therefore, it is crucial that any property that is determined to be part of your bankruptcy estate is turned over to the trustee unless otherwise ordered by the court.

Determining which assets are part of your bankruptcy estate can be difficult. Before spending any money that may be part of your bankruptcy estate, contact your bankruptcy attorney. If you are considering filing bankruptcy, contact our office for a free consultation.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On