Jump to navigation Jump to content


Missouri is a modified no-fault divorce state. This means that the spouse seeking divorce does not have to prove misconduct on the part of the other spouse. Misconduct in the case of divorce is considered adultery or some sort of abandonment, such as financial. But in a no-fault divorce, the only thing that needs to be proven is that the marriage is broken and cannot be repaired. That is where the term "irreconcilable differences" comes from. Another way to phrase it is to state that the marriage is "irretrievably broken." If there is little to no chance that the marriage can be salvaged, it is likely a divorce will be granted.

If the two divorcing spouses cannot agree on how to divide their property in a settlement, the court will likely divide their property for them in a trial. Property will be divided fairly but not necessarily equally. Factors of property division include how much each spouse contributed to the marital property, the value of each spouse's non-marital property, the children of the marriage, and the marital home, which usually gets awarded to the custodial parent. Non-marital property is not part of the marital estate and stays with the respective owner during and after the divorce. Usually this includes gifts and inheritance provided it is kept separate from the marital property during the marriage.

Like with property, if the divorcing couple cannot agree on a custody agreement during settlement, it will go to trial. The best interest of the child or children is always the main factor for consideration in child custody. However, the wishes of the parents, the child's educational issues, the relationships the child has with the parents, the child's adjustment, and the overall wishes of the child are also taken into consideration. Another consideration is whether one parent wishes to relocate after the divorce.

Often times, the non-custodial parent is requested to pay child support. Generally it is to give the child the same standard of living they had while their parents were married. Child support usually continues until the child is 18, but can be extended until the child is 21 to assist the child in educational needs if certain requirements are met.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On