Jump to navigation Jump to content

Child custody and support

When a couple is divorcing, one of the biggest issues inevitably becomes the children born from the marriage. Parents can seek legal custody, physical custody, or both. Legal custody is the right of a parent to make decisions on behalf of the child, including medical care and education. If joint legal custody is awarded, both parents share an equal right in the legal decisions relating to the child or children. Physical custody is the right of one or both parents to have the child in their care. Sole custody can be awarded to one parent if the other has been deemed unfit to care for the child. In most cases, joint physical custody will be ordered.

Most of the time, it is left to the parents to create a schedule for when the child will be with each parent. If the custodial parent wishes to move, the noncustodial parent must be informed and approve. Parenting agreements can be very helpful in settling what happens to the child after the divorce is final. It provides parents with a written document concerning any issues that may arise in the child's life and how to deal with them in a manner that both parents find satisfactory. It also provides proof of agreement should one parent go against the parenting plan.

Child support exists to provide the child of a divorce a standard of living similar to the one they had while their parents were married. Parents are legally responsible for the financial support of their children, whether they are married or not. That means typically, the noncustodial parent pays the child support. The amount of money paid is based on the financial resources of each parent, how often the child sees the noncustodial parent, and expenses associated with medical care or day care.

Child support payments end when the child reaches 18, becomes legally emancipated from their parents, or enters active duty in the military. If the child enrolls in college, the support payments extend until the child turns 21, provided that they meet certain requirements. These requirements include full-time enrollment except for summer semester, proof of enrollment to noncustodial parent, sufficient grades, and proof of grades to noncustodial parent upon request. If any of these requirements are not met, child support payments will be terminated. If the financial situation of either parent changes significantly, there can be an order for child support modification.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On