Jump to navigation Jump to content

Why Can the Trustee Require me to Turn over my Income Tax Refund?

Blog Category:
Comments (0)

Often we receive inquiries as to why the trustee in a chapter 7 bankruptcy case is requesting a debtor's income tax refund.  The client will call and state that they received word that their trustee filed a notice stating he is taking an interest in the debtor's income tax return, meaning he is going to hold the debtor's case open until they receive their tax refund, and then determine if  they need to turn over any portion of it.  If the trustee determines that there is an unexempt portion of the refund, he will require the debtor(s) to turn over a certain portion of it.  The notice the trustee files with the court gives the debtor's creditors notice that he or she is doing this, and it also instructs the debtor's creditors to file proof of claims with the court (which is the creditor providing proof that you owe them money) so that IF the debtors have to turn over money, it will be distributed to those creditors equally.



You are allotted a certain amount of exemptions when you file for bankruptcy.  If you have property that exceeds those exemptions, you have to turn that portion over to the trustee who will then distribute it equally among your creditors.  Upon filing, all of your property becomes part of the bankruptcy estate, and the trustee has control over the bankruptcy estate.  He has the ability to instruct you to turn over unexempt property if he discovers that you have any.   When your attorney files your case, they use the numbers that the debtor provides for values of their property.  Prior to filing, if all of the property the debtor lists is exempt, there are typically not going to be issues with having to turn over any property.  However, if the debtor is expecting to receive a large tax refund, the trustee will sometimes file a notice that he believes there are going to be unexempt assets, such as your refund. 


If he determines that you do have to turn over a portion of your refund, you will need to do so to ensure you receive your discharge.  If you fail to turn over the requested amount, should he ask for anything, the trustee can revoke your discharge, meaning you would still be liable for all of the debts you listed on your petition and you would no longer be able to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy on any of those debts.   So, when you file your taxes and determine how much you will be receiving back, it is important to forward a copy of the returns to your attorney's office immediately.  Your attorney will need to forward the copies of the returns to your trustee for review and then will let you know if you need to turn any portion of your refund over.  Because there is a chance he will make you turn some of the refund over, it is important that you do not spend any portion of your refund until your attorney has the chance to advise you that it is ok to do so.  Even if you spend the refund before the trustee can ask you to turn the refund over, he or she will still make you turn over that amount of money.  

Category: General


There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Why Can the Trustee Require me to Turn over my Income Tax Refund?"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On