Jump to navigation Jump to content

Options for Property in Bankrtupcy

Blog Category:
Comments (0)


Redemption will require you to have a certain amount of cash up front that you can put towards the balance.  Redemption applies to cases where the property value has depreciated to lower than the amount of the loan.  When this happens the creditor is considered under secured. Essentially, to redeem a debt, you make a payment of the current secured value of the debt. 

For example, if a debtor owes 10,000 dollars on a vehicle and the vehicle is now only worth 6,000 dollars, the creditor is under secured by 4,000 dollars.  To redeem this vehicle a debtor would make a payment of 6,000 dollars to the creditor.  Then, through filing for bankruptcy, a debtor can eliminate responsibility for the remaining 4,000 dollars as it is unsecured.  After the bankruptcy the debtor will own the property free and clear. 


Another option for individuals filing for bankruptcy is a reaffirmation agreement.  Reaffirmation agreements can be used on any type of property regardless of the value.  Reaffirmation agreements do not require a lump sum payment.  Rather, a reaffirmation agreement is an agreement to continue making payments under the original loan agreement despite the bankruptcy proceeding.  After the bankruptcy the debtor is still financially responsible for the property and will be subject to repossession or foreclosure if the debtor is unable to remain current on the obligation. 

When filing for bankruptcy a debtor may also choose to surrender property.  A debtor may surrender property regardless of the value of the property or the current amount of the mortgage or the loan.  This option will require you to turn over the property to the trustee, usually at an arranged time.  Surrender allows you to walk away from the bankruptcy not without any further responsibility or obligation to pay for the property.

If you have questions, or would like more information, schedule an appointment with a St. Louis Bankruptcy Attorney now. 

Category: Bankruptcy

There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Options for Property in Bankrtupcy"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On