Jump to navigation Jump to content

Modifications in Family Law

Blog Category:
Comments (0)

Modifications in Family Law

Q: What is a motion to modify?
A: A request made to the court to change an existing court order because of a change in circumstances.

Q: What types of orders can be modified?
A: Divisions of property and debt from divorce usually cannot be modified. Spousal support also known as alimony or sometimes can sometimes be modified depending in the original order. Child support and child custody can be modified if there is a change in circumstances.

Q: What is a “change in circumstances” for the purpose of a modification of child support?
A: In order to request a modification for child support there must be a change in circumstances that is substantial and continuous. For example, if the paying party loses their job which they were working fulltime and immediately requests a modification the court will look at whether the change is substantial. Yes, going from fulltime employment to no employment is substantial. However, is it continuous? Will the paying party be able to quickly find work? Will they be making the same amount of money? Your attorney may advise the paying party to wait on filing a motion to modify until either they have found new employment at a lower pay rate or until a long enough period of time has passed that the court will be satisfied that the change is continuous.

Q: What is a change for the purposes of a modification of child custody?
A: Child custody can and should be modified whenever there is a change such that the current court order is no longer what is in the best interests of the children. An extreme example would be that Parent A is awarded primary physical custody where Parent A has the children Monday through Friday and every other weekend. Parent B has the children every other weekend. However, Parent A is suddenly incarcerated and therefore unable to care for the children. Instead of Parent A’s friends/family taking care of the children during Parent A’s time with the children, it may be in the children’s best interest to spend more time with Parent B. In this circumstance, the best interests of the children have changed therefore justifying a modification by the court.

Q: Are there any risks in modifying a court order?
A: Yes. If you want to modify support only, that opens the door for other modifications. You may only want to modify the child support amount however the other parent may also bring up custody and modify the parenting plan as part of the modification.

Category: Family Law

There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Modifications in Family Law"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On