Jump to navigation Jump to content

Insider Payments

Blog Category:
Comments (0)

Insider Payments

You got a large chunk of money and paid the loan from your Mom or other family member and now are ready to file bankruptcy. Or you have a high balance in bank accounts prior to filing a bankruptcy so you are going to take the money out and pay back a loan to a family member right? Wrong. There is a section of the bankruptcy petition where these sorts of payments must be specifically listed. You are going to disclose them on your petition but the money is already gone anyways so nothing the trustee can do about it right? Wrong again.

The bankruptcy petition asks about these sorts of payments to insiders for the reason that they can do something about it. The section of the petition that is dedicated to these sorts of payments is known at the Statement of Financial Affairs. The Statement of Financial Affairs requires that you list any payments to family members or friends in the past year. In addition to listing that the payment was made, you must also list the name and address of the person the payments were made to, the amount(s) of the payment(s) and the date(s) of the payment(s).

Why do you have to list this information? These payments are known as insider payments or preferential payments. The trustee can reverse any payments made to insiders. However, you can avoid the trustee from contact your family member and taking the money from them. You can settle with the trustee yourself sometime for a fraction of the amount paid to your family member. Sometimes the trustee will even allow you to pay the preferential payment amount to the trustee over several months in some sort of payment plan. What if you do not want the trustee to contact your family member but you need more than a few months to pay the money to the trustee? You can pay the amount to your unsecured creditors over the life of the bankruptcy through a Chapter 13.

So what do they do with money when they collect it back from your family member or receive the money from you? The trustee notifies your creditors that asset with be recovered and given them a chance to file a proof of claim with the court. Once the deadline to file proof of claims has passed, the trustee disburses the money on a prorate basis to your creditors.

Category: Bankruptcy

There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Insider Payments"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On