Jump to navigation Jump to content

Family Law FAQ's

Blog Category:
Comments (0)

Both prospective and current clients often times ask similar questions. In an attempt to answer some of the most frequent asked questions that are asked of our firm, we are creating this article to help answer so of those so frequently asked questions. Some of the most commonly asked questions specific to a case require legal advice and therefore will not be listed here. For legal advice on your specific situation you should contact our office for a consultation. Below are general answers and therefore may not apply directly to your scenario.


Q: How much is this going to cost me? Can I make payments on fees?

A: Not shockingly, the answer is it depends. It depends on what type of case it is and more importantly and whether the matters are contested or simply being run through the court as a matter of procedure and finality.


Q: What information is needed in order to file a dissolution or modification?

A: Personal information such as name, address, contact information, social security number, financial information, personal information for any parties to be involved in the matter. For modifications we will also need the original judgment as well as any other modifications. For modifications, change is circumstance or substantial and continuous change may be required to be shown to the court so documentation to support such change will likely be necessary.


Q: Can’t my attorney get me everything that I want in my divorce or modification case? If I get a good lawyer I will get everything right?

A: Not necessarily. Likely in your initial meeting with the attorney, they will go over what your expectations and goals are in the case and what ultimate outcome you are seeking. They will likely also go over which of these expectations are reasonable and which may need some further consideration. For example, you are getting divorced and your husband has had no allegations of abuse and no other reason that the court would find him to be unfit. You want sole physical and legal custody with only supervised visits with father. This is likely an unreasonable expectation. Your attorney will hopefully help guide your expectations into more reasonable and likely outcomes. Remember that the court looks at the best interests of the children. It is unlikely that the best interest of the children is to have only limited and supervised visits with a father whom has shown no signs of abuse or other harmful behavior.

Category: Family Law

There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Family Law FAQ's"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On