Jump to navigation Jump to content

Discharge of Debt

Blog Category:
Tobias Licker, Esq.
Comments (0)
A debtor can obtain a discharge of debt by filing for bankruptcy.  A discharge debt releases the individual's personal liability for many types of unsecured debts.  A discharge prevents creditors from Too much debt, Bankruptcymaking any collections efforts upon the debtor including phone calls, letters, and threats.
Many types of unsecured debt can be discharged, including credit card debt, pay day loans, and medical bills.  Howwever, there are other types of debt that cannot be discharged through bankruptcy.  Some examples of debts that cannot be discharged are certain tax liabilities, student loans, financial responsibility for any injury caused while driving while intoxicated, child support, alimony, condo and subdivision fees, and debts to governmental agencies.  Further, if there are existing liens on property they will not be discharged.  The individual is still responsible for anything not discharged by the bankruptcy proceedings.
Discharge varies slightly between Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 filings.  In a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy filing creditors are given notice of the proceedings and are given time to object.  If no objections are received the debt is generally discharged automatically.  The court also has certain requirements and regulations for discharge and may dismiss a case if the requirements are not met in a timely manner.  Some of the requirements of the court are that the individual provide tax documents and complete a course on financial management. The court may also dismiss a case without discharge for any type of fraud, concealment, or failure to account for assets. In a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharge of debt occurs when the reorganization plan is paid in full.  In Chapter 13 filings, like Chapter 11 filings, creditors are given the opportunity to object at the plan confirmation hearing.  Creditors may not object to the discharge upon completion of payments under the plan.
It is important to note that in Chapter 7 proceedings the court may revoke a discharge under limited circumstances.  The grounds for a revocation closely resemble the grounds of the court to dismiss the case without discharge, including fraud or concealment.  In a Chapter 13 filing the court may revoke either confirmation or the discharge of the plan for fraud.
After your debt is discharged is it not legally enforceable and creditors are not legally allowed to attempt to collect a discharged debt.  Should a creditor attempt to collect discharged debt a motion can be filed with the court to reopen the case to address tthe creditor.  The court may sanction creditors for violating a discharge order.
Though a creditor may not attempt to collect a discharged debt, you may opt to voluntarily pay the amount that was discharged.  It is imperative to note that this may only be done after a final order has been issued and the bankruptcy is complete.  This most often occurs when the relationship between the parties is of personal importance to the individual, for example, if debts to family or friends were discharged.

Category: Bankruptcy

There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Discharge of Debt"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On