Jump to navigation Jump to content

Can the Trustee require me to turnover property?

St. Charles: 1861 Sherman Dr, St. Charles, MO 63303 (at Hwy 94 and Hwy 270, next to Restaurant Ginghams)
South & Jefferson County: 7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., St. Louis, MO 63125, Suite 222 (at the corner of Linderbergh and Lemay Ferry Rd, across from the South County Mall, inside the Lindergh Building, by appointment only)
St. Louis: 3470 Hampton Ave., Suite 101, St. Louis, MO 63109 (close the Hampton and Chippewa, by appointment only)
Florissant: 1281 Graham Rd., Suite 300, Florissant, MO 63031 (at Hwy 270 and Graham Rd/ N. Hanley Rd, inside First Bank Building, third floor, by appointment only)
Granite City:  3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201, Granite City, IL 62040 (across from Shop'n Save, inside First Bank Building, second floor, by appointment only)

Blog Category:
Morgan R. Teague, Esq.
Comments (0)
Can the trustee really make me turnover documents or property?
No, the trustee cannot MAKE you turn them over. However, if you filed bankruptcy to receive a discharge, which most people do, then you will want to turnover items requested by the trustee. Failure to cooperate with the trustee can result in dismissal of your case or denial of your discharge.
What does denial of discharge mean?
It means that your debt is not dissolved. It means that you essential (in most cases) hired an attorney, took a credit counseling class, attended a 341 meeting, and a hit to your credit all for nothing. You are back as square 1 with the same debt you start with and are now out of even more money for the fees and costs associated with the filing of the bankruptcy.
Can’t I just tell the trustee that I did not get a tax refund? Or that I do not have any money at the time of filing? How will they know if I have cash in my wallet?
Simple. You are going to tell them. Can you lie to them? Sure, if you want to commit perjury. All of the bankruptcies schedules, statements, and related documents are signed by you under penalty of perjury as being true and accurate. You are also sworn in under penalty of perjury at your 341 meeting where you will be asked if your schedules are accurate and whether you valued your items fairly and honestly. So by lying to the trustee or intentionally listing incorrect information on your schedules, you are risking prosecution for a perjury, which is a federal crime. For obvious reasons, I do NOT recommend this. If you are concerned about property you have being an issue in your bankruptcy, talk to your attorney BEFORE the case is filed. Your attorney can advice you on whether or not bankruptcy is the best option and whether there are ways to legally protect your property.

Category: Bankruptcy

There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Can the Trustee require me to turnover property?"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On