Jump to navigation Jump to content

Can Taxes Be Discharged Through Bankruptcy?

Blog Category:
Comments (0)

Are Taxes Dischargeable Through Bankruptcy?


Some taxes are dischargeable through bankruptcy, but some are not eligible for discharge due to the year the taxes are due and the timeliness of filing the taxes.  If income taxes are more than three years old, they usually can be discharged.  The three year time period is based on the due date of the taxes, which generally is April 15th unless the debtor has been granted an extension.  If the taxes would be due within three years of the filing of the bankruptcy, the taxes would not be eligible for discharge.  It is not based on the end of the tax year but the due date for filing the tax return.  Therefore, if it is November, 2012, tax years 2008 and earlier would be discharged, but 2009, 2010, and 2011 would not because their due dates would be April 15th, 2010, 2011, and 2012, which is within the three year time period before the filing of the bankruptcy.


Even if the taxes are more than three years old, taxes are not dischargeable if they have been filed within the last 2 years.  If the taxes are not filed timely and less than two years before the filing of the bankruptcy, the taxes cannot be discharged through the bankruptcy.  If taxes are unable to be discharged through the bankruptcy, debtors can call the IRS or their state Department of Revenue and attempt to work out a payment plan to repay their non-dischargeable tax debt.  Sometimes debtors are able to pay the taxes over a longer period of time.  It is still important for debtors to list their tax debt in the petition regardless of the ability to discharge the debt, however, so the IRS and Department of Revenue will get notice of the bankruptcy filing.


For more information, please contact a St. Louis or St. Charles bankruptcy attorney today.

Category: Bankruptcy

1 Comments to "Can Taxes Be Discharged Through Bankruptcy?"

I need to get a counseling on irs taxes from 1999 fed state need appointment got ur name or referral from car dealer ship if u could set me one up for ur south co office chapter 7 so I can get new strart in life
Posted by mark hendricks on June 6, 2014 at 04:30 AM

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Can Taxes Be Discharged Through Bankruptcy?"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On