Jump to navigation Jump to content

Can I Keep My Tax Refund in a Chapter 7?


A & L, Licker Law Firm, LLC
1861 Sherman Drive
St. Charles, MO 63303
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (636) 916-5400

A & L, Licker Law Firm, LLC provides bankruptcy, personal injury and family law legal services to residents of St. Louis County, St. Charles County and Jefferson County, Missouri, including the cities of St. Charles, St. Louis, Florissant, O'Fallon, St. Peters, Wentzville, Troy, Lake St. Louis, Bridgeton, Hazelwood, Ferguson and the surrounding area.

Disclaimer: The use of our web site is for informational purposes only, it does not creat an attorney-client relationship. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. The choice of a laywer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertising. 

Blog Category:
Morgan R. Teague, Esq.
Comments (0)
Starting in September of each year, when clients come in asking about bankruptcy one of the questions we ask is whether the prospective client expects to receive a tax refund for the upcoming tax year. If the answer is yes, we ask how much.
For a Chapter 7 for example, if someone comes in and says they expect a $4,000 tax refund and they want their bankruptcy filed on September 1st (the 244th day of the year), we explain that 244/365 about 67% ($2,673.97) of the tax refund for the next year is part of the bankruptcy estate.
Does this mean the trustee automatically gets over $2600 of this client’s refund? No. The court gives you certain exemptions to keep property, including money in a bank account or an expected tax refund. The amount of these exemptions vary case by case depending on whether you are head of household and whether you have dependents under the age of 18. This is something that you will need to consult your attorney about to determine for your specific case how much could be protected.
So lets say the client expects $4000. This client is not head of household and does not have any dependents. The amount that could be protected would be limited to a $600 wildcard exemption. This client may want to wait to file the bankruptcy after they have received and spent their tax refund. Once it is spent, we no longer need to exempt it and the trustee cannot take it.
However, if this is the route you chose to go, it is important to be cautious of what you are spending the money on. You cannot make payments to family members or friends and do not want to pay any creditor more than $600. You can however pay normal expenses: rent, utilities, necessities for yourself or dependents, etc. If you are not sure whether the bills you plan to pay with your tax refund and acceptable, contact your bankruptcy attorney. 

Category: Bankruptcy

There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Can I Keep My Tax Refund in a Chapter 7?"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

For Current Clients

Our Locations

St. Charles Office

1861 Sherman Drive
St Charles, MO 63303
Phone: 636-916-5400

At Hwy 94 and Hwy 70.

Get Directions | See Detail

St. Louis Office

3470 Hampton Ave, Suite 101
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: 314-353-0834

Close to the corner of Hampton Ave and Chippewa. By appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

South & Jefferson County office

7321 S. Lindbergh Ave., Suite 222
St. Louis, MO 63125
Phone: 636-916-5400

Across the South County Mall.

Get Directions | See Detail

Florissant Office (North County)

1281 Graham Rd, Suite 300
Florissant, MO 63031
Phone: 314-921-1880

At North Hanley and Hwy 270.

Get Directions | See Detail

Belleville Office (St. Clair county)

2 Park Place Professional Centre
Belleville, Illinois 62226
Phone: 618-977-9560

On Hwy 159, next to Schnucks.

Get Directions

Granite City Office (Madison County)

3600 Nameoki Rd, Suite 201
Granite City, IL 62040
Phone: 618-977-9560

Across Shop'n Save, by appointment only.

Get Directions | See Detail

Follow Us On